ROTARY CLUB OF GALVESTON
MEMORIAL DAY PROGRAM
MAY 23, 2012
Honoring the Life of
LT. COL. MAX CLARK, U.S.M.C.R.

Click Here For More




Club Office

Rotary Club of Galveston

P.O. Box 810, Galveston, TX 77553
Phone:409-692-3838

12:00 Noon each Wednesday,
Fisherman's Wharf
Location: Harborside & 22nd Street
Galveston, TX   

See Map!

ROTARY
THE FOUR WAY TEST
of the things we think, say or do:

1. Is it the TRUTH?
2. Is it FAIR to all concerned?
3. Will it build GOOD WILL and
BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
4. Will it be BENEFICIAL to all
concerned?

THE OBJECT OF ROTARY

The Object of Rotary is to encourage and foster the ideal of service as a basis of worthy
enterprise and, in particular, to encourage and foster:

FIRST: The development of acquaintance as an opportunity for service;

SECOND: High ethical standards in business and professions; the recognition of the worthiness
of all useful occupations, and the dignifying of each Rotarian’s occupation as an opportunity to
serve society.

THIRD: The application of the ideal of service in each Rotarian’s personal, business, and
community life;

FOURTH: The advancement of international understanding, goodwill, and peace through a world fellowship of business and professional persons united in the ideal of service.


THE ROTARY CLUB OF GALVESTON CELEBRATES

 103 YEARS OF SERVICE, 1913-2016

On February 24, 1913, Harry W. Stanley, vice-president of the Western Division of the International Association of Rotary Clubs, four Rotarians from Houston, and fourteen businessmen from Galveston founded The Rotary Club of Galveston. It was the fifth club established in Texas and the 73rd admitted to the International Association.

The club’s annual membership ranged between 100 and 160 during the early decades, reaching 200 in 1962. The annual total has seesawed between 117 and 210 during the past thirty years (including honorary members). In more recent years that total has ranged between 117 and 160. The club admitted its first woman in 1988. On February 24, 1993, 208 members (including 29 women) celebrated the club’s 80th birthday. In December 1992, the club elected five women to its 1993-94 board of directors. In 1999, Christina Morris became the club’s first lady president, and in 2004, Linda Ott-Thompson was selected as our club’s first lady Assistant District Governor by DG Emken Linton.

Throughout these decades, members participated in various club service activities. These included weekly luncheons with informative or entertaining programs; periodic dinners, dances, and social occasions; fun trips to events at the Astrodome, the Lone Star Amphitheater, and the Grand 1894 Opera House; publication of bulletins and directories; regular meetings of committees and boards; and recurring competitions in softball and golf. The club honored different vocations by inviting members and non-Rotarians to give luncheon talks, and the club gave awards to outstanding teachers and law enforcement officers. To improve the quality of life in Galveston, Rotarians have contributed many hours of community service. These contributions are made by individual Rotarians who volunteer many hours of service to city, county, and private organizations. During the past thirteen years, for example, members of the club have served as officers of the United Way Campaign in Galveston County.

These contributions are also made by the club’s members working together on various community service projects. In 1919, sixty members contributed $4,000 to organize Galveston’s first chapter of Boy Scouts. A Student Loan Fund, established in 1925, became a Student Scholarship Program by 1958, and continues today. Mike Martin, a former Representative in the Texas Legislature, received one of these scholarships for support during his college years. In 1974, the Galveston Historical Foundation utilized a generous donation from the club to transform Ashton Villa’s carriage house into a visitor’s information center. In 1984, the club donated $10,000 to install an emergency alarm system in each room of the Gulf Breeze Apartments, one of Galveston’s senior citizen’s residences.

Acquired from chili suppers held annually since 1976 as well as other fund-raisers, the club has donated more than $500,000 to local organizations needing financial support for many worthwhile projects. An endowed foundation established in 1990 provides additional dollars for club and community projects. In 1996, the trustees of this foundation pledged $11,200 for the first endowed scholarship of Galveston College’s Universal Access program. In 2001, the trustees gave $80,000 to help create the Rotary Labyrinth and Meditation Garden at the William Temple Episcopal Center (427 Market Street). In 2014, when that property was sold, the Labyrinth was moved  to its new location at Moody Methodist Church.

Rotarians are eager to enhance understanding, goodwill, and peaceful cooperation throughout the world. In 1916, Rotary International established the Rotary Foundation. Contributions to the Rotary Foundation are used to support an array of international service programs. An individual is designated a Paul Harris Fellow when the Rotary Foundation receives a donation of $1,000 in the name of that person. The Rotary Club of Galveston awarded its first Paul Harris Fellow to 90 year old Wilbur Goodman in March, 1978. A past president, Wilbur had been a member of the club for 63 of its then 65 years. On July 1, 2016, the club had 85 Paul Harris Fellows, of which 28 are multiple Paul Harris Fellows; in addition, 10 fellows were non-members (Ann Burns, Joyce Cline, Craig Eiland, Emily Erdmann, Joan Fattig, Shrub Kempner, Robert Moody, Kim Raschke, Lyda Ann Thomas, and Farhad Vessyi). One club member is a Paul Harris Society Member (John Zendt), three current members (Ulli Budelmann, Harold Fattig, Sr., and Fred Raschke) and two non-members (Ann Burns and Joan Fattig) are RI Benefactors, one is a Bequest Society Member (John Schmidt), and one a Major Donor (Ulli Budelmann).

In addition to these Fellowships, the club has supported the international service ideals of Rotary by contributions of materials and dollars to World Community Service projects, by participation in the Gift of Life Program and the PolioPlus Program, and by support of Group Study Exchanges and Youth Exchange Students. Between 1986 and 1992, 20 Korean children and four Panamanian children experienced corrective heart surgery at John Sealy Hospital as part of the Gift of Life Program. The club contributed about $30,000 to the PolioPlus Program of Rotary International that raised more than $1.4 billion to immunize children against polio and other childhood diseases.


Read More




Go to CWIC


Go to presentation
World Services Committee Presentation: Trips to Guatemala

You will need a PowerPoint viewer for above go to
PowerPoint Viewer 2007

 


 


This web site was constructed and is maintained and hosted free of charge by Kwikit.com a division of eMallsAmerica, Inc.
under the direction of A. F. "Al" Miller, CEO.



Copyright © 2012 eMallsAmerica, Inc.


fish pontchartrain fish pontchartrain fish pontchartrain